MeadWestvaco research reports now available at North Carolina State University

The entire forest research archive of the former MeadWestvaco Corporation is now available in the Hunt Library at North Carolina State University.

MeadWestvaco had one of the largest and most comprehensive forest research programs in the world to support its operations in South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Indiana, and Missouri. It also collaborated with its Brazilian subsidiary, Rigesa Ltda., on loblolly pine and eucalyptus research. Initial company research in forest biotechnology fed into ArborGen LLC when Westvaco joined with International Paper and two New Zealand companies in that field.

The archive contains various reports and materials created and used by forestry researchers at 14 research stations established and owned by MeadWestvaco from 1945 to 2006. When the company sold its forests in the early 2000s and concluded its forest research program, the collection was given to the Hunt Library, where it has been catalogued and is accessible to the public.

The collection is broken down into four series, the first of which is Introductory Material consisting of lists and indexes. The other three series are Research Reports, Technical Memoranda, and Information Sheets. The Research Reports series is the largest and includes reports addressing topics such as fertilization, herbicide use, chemical debarking, pulpwood growth, stand yield and tree transportation cost analysis.

The materials from the collections are available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law, but are only available to those who visit the Hunt Library; access requires at least 48 hours advanced notice. Access to some archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, requires additional advanced notice.

Additional information about the MeadWestvaco Research Reports archive, including an online list of contents, is available at https://catalog.lib.ncsu.edu/record/NCSU2831274.